How to Find the Best Roofing System
A roof is a very important part of a residential or a commercial building. It actually refers to the cover on the topmost part of every building. It is essential for this part to have a good quality and strong foundation for protection. Find Roof Companies Near Me.
Roofs come in various designs and characteristics. Its look usually depends on the purpose of the building, location and the availability of the materials.
Types of Roof System
There are two generic types of roof system. One is the Low slope roof system, which is a waterproof type of roof. And then, the other one is the Steep slope roof system, which is a water shedding type of roof.
The low slope type of roofing system is installed on a slope that is less than or equal to 3:12 or 14 degrees.
This type of roofing system may be classified into 5 classifications.
- The Built-up Roof or BUR usually refers to the tar and the gravel roof that is composed of bitumen layers and fabrics for reinforcing.
- The Metal Panel Roof System uses a structural type of metal panel characterized with a hydrostatic capability.
- The Polymer-modified Bitumen Sheet is composed of a reinforcing fabric with multiple layers.
- A Single-ply membrane could be made or either thermoplastic materials or thermoset materials.
- A Spray Polyurethane Foam-based or the SPF is constructed in different thickness through mixing and spraying of its components, forming the base of the roof.
It also comes with three components.
- We have the Weatherproof layers to protect and keep the assembly of the roof from water.
- Next is the Reinforcement for a strong and stable roof.
- And then, we have the Surfacing for resistance and to protect the roof from weather and sunlight.
The Steep Slope type of roofing system is installed on a slope that exceeds 3:12 or 14 degrees. It is composed of individual components and installed in shingle method. It comes with asphalt shingles, clay tile, concrete tile, metal roof, slate, wood shake, wood shingles and synthetic types of generic steep slope roofing system.
A Steep slope assemblies consist of three main parts.
- We have the Roof deck, which is a material made of wood.
- Next, we have the temporary Underlayment providing protection until the installation of the roof.
- And then, we have the external Roof Cover, which is the water shedding material.
Commercial vs. Residential Roofing
Most commercial roofing are flat and comes with the low slope type of roofing system. It usually has a larger area compared to residential roofing. They have different designs to consider when it comes to the drainage systems, ventilation and additional heating or cooling equipment installed. It is very important to know if the roofing experts has required knowledge for your type of roof and design.
Materials, such as asphalt shingles or metal panels are commonly used both for commercial and residential roofing. But, commercial roofs go for a more durable material, such as an APP/SBS or Single ply membrane. A roofing expert should have the needed technical skills in maximizing the integrity and structure of commercial roofs because they have precise requirements when it comes to the design, installation and life span of the roofing system.
A roof expert must be familiar with various materials used in the residential and commercial roofing system of a building. Relevant skills are needed to complete the installation of the roofing system. Commercial roofing systems must be water-light, tightly fused seams, exact flashing and passable drainage. Installation of residential roofing focuses more on its artistic value.
Various issues develops with the residential and commercial roofing. It would be best to inspect the roofs as frequent as possible to avoid future problems, such as clogged drainage and cracks.